Greetings of peace and blessing from URI-Africa.
This is to inform you that URI-Africa took part at the 1st Interfaith Dialogue Forum Steering Committee workshop, which took place in the premises of the Pan African Parliament (PAP) in Midrand, South Africa from May 22-23, 2017.
During the African Union Interfaith Dialogue Forum which was held in Abuja, Nigeria in 2016 the Steering Committee was established to work with African Union to support and strengthen the process of interfaith dialogue within African Community as well as to enhance partnership between religious leaders and policy makers at the African Union. The steering committee was also tasked to develop a 5-year strategic plan, the Terms of Reference and working modalities.
With this in mind the 1st Interfaith Dialogue Forum Steering Committee workshop organized in South Africa in collaboration between AU-CIDO, the Strategic Planning Directorate of the AU Commission and KAICIID.
The two-day workshop succeeded in providing general updates of the Steering Committee since its election, and in developing the first section of the strategic plan, the TORs of the SC and the working modalities. They also came up with Core Values of The Interfaith Dialogue Forum to upholds:
- Mutual Respect
- Human Dignity
- Respect for Creation
- Equality in Diversity
The Steering Committee divided into two groups to discuss on broad issues to be addressed in the Strategic Plan. Following the deep reflection and discussion, the groups agreed on 5 main strategic pillars, namely:
- Building effective structures for the sensitization and awareness raising of the role of religion and faith traditions on Agenda 2063
- Developing the capacities of religious leaders, faith-based organizations and AU organs to work together to implement the policies and programmes supporting the peace and development in Africa
- Building synergies and coordination for effective policy implementation of AU Interfaith Dialogue Forum programmes within the AU.
- Forging partnerships with Faith Based communities to encourage the implementation of relevant policies of selected AU organs through the appropriate tools and resources
- Develop strategies for communication, advocacy and capacity building among state and non-state actors, including the media, and religious leaders to ensure accurate representation of religions and faith communities
May Peace Prevail on Earth
In peace and gratitude,