Action Ideas for IDP
Here are some popular activities to do as part of URI’s global community of people who strive for peace, justice and healing, and who work for peace as a human right.
- Impact the Law - Invite your group to write letters to appropriate government officials to inform them about the International Day of Peace and to encourage them to create legislation that declares the International Day of Peace a holiday in your city.
- Peace Walk - Arrange for your group to become “pilgrims for peace.” Walks can be as simple as paths connecting diverse faith communities in your area. The group should be instructed to model peace as they walk – they might choose to walk in silence, to sing, to share prayers as they walk, to carry simple signs for peace, and to be respectful and caring to all who they meet along the way.
- Art Competition - Invite your group to create an art display. The theme can be: “Peace, A Human Right.” Provide art supplies, and lead the group to reflect on what “Peace as a Human Right” would look like to them. Provide the group time to complete the artwork and time to talk about their creations. An impromptu “peace gallery exhibition” could be set up to enjoy the fruits of your creativity!
- Visiting People in Need - Groups can plan to help in local food pantries, shelters for homeless people or visiting children in orphanages as acts of solidarity and care. They can make “peace cards” with caring messages and distribute them.
- Tree Planting - A tree can be donated and a meaningful place chosen in your community to plant a “peace tree.” A durable sign can be made and placed near the tree to commemorate the International Day of Peace and to name the donors.
- Peace Awards – Your group can choose peace awards for individuals (well-known and not well-known) who have contributed to the creation of a culture of peace. Awards can be made and sent to these people with a letter of appreciation and recognition.
About this series:
Each year, hundreds of URI Cooperation Circles participate in the International Day of Peace (IDP). As a global community, we put organized global spirit and energy into action! Here are some beloved ideas and inspirations for peacebuilding. You can expect two issues of this series each week until September 21. Hope you love them too and find them useful!
See more posts in this series for more ideas about how to celebrate the International Day of Peace.
May Peace Prevail,