April 5 is Golden Rule Day - a day when the URI community celebrates the Golden Rule, “Treat others and the planet as you would like to be treated.” This is a universal principle shared by nearly all cultural, spiritual, religious, and secular traditions on Earth.
Read a message for the celebration of the Golden Rule Day from H.E. Adama Dieng, United Nations Secretary-General's Special Adviser for the Prevention of Genocide.
You can still watch videos from the Golden Rule Day webcast, which was broadcast live on URI's Facebook page on April 5, 2019. Scroll down this page for excerpts and links.
Read a special Golden Rule Day message from Mussie Hailu, Global Envoy of URI, Continental Director for URI-Africa and URI Representative to the United Nations in Nairobi, and URI Executive Director The Rev. Victor H. Kazanjian, Jr.
Videos from the Golden Rule Day 2019 Facebook broadcast:
- See a video from Camp Anytown Las Vegas Cooperation Circle, posted on Facebook for Golden Rule Day 2019. "At Anytown, one of the ways we care for others is by declaring and modelling through our words and actions that if there is an affront to one of our traditions, there is an affront to all of us."
- See a video message from Geoffrey Manasseh, URI Malawi Country Coordinator and Interfaith Youth Trainer, posted on Facebook for Golden Rule Day 2019.
- See a video from Charter for Compassion's Facebook post: "Happy International Golden Rule Day...Host Karen Palmer will share highlights from the past 24 hours, plus #UN #GlobalGoals"
- See a video from Charter for Compassion's Facebook post: young climate change activists.
- See a video from Sari Heidenreich, URI North America Regional Coordinator, introducing more live content.
- See a video from Latin America and the Caribbean: "Happy Golden rule day @goldenruleday. in this segment of our 24-hour program, we will travel through #Mexico #Chile #Colombia #Brazil #Spain and we will get excited with #songs #presentations and #dance with the messages of #peace #Compassion #environment."
- See a video of a conversation between URI Executive Director Victor Kazanjian and URI Global Envoy Mussie Hailu.
- In this video, Matthew Youde, URI Associate Director of Global Programs for Youth Leadership Development, shares inspiring stories from Europe.
- In this video, learn how the Golden Rule is being practiced across the Middle East! "We start by hearing stories of peacebuilders in Yemen, told by URI Founder Bishop Bill Swing."
- In this video, learn how the Golden Rule is being practiced in Pakistan and India.
- In this video, watch an overview of International Golden Rule Day, see stories about #Japanese school children, an interview with #NewZealand Prime Minister Jacindra Ardern, and the remarkable story of Katura Halladay, a young #GoldCoast, #Australia student who traveled to #Mozambique to assist other students with education, sanitation and medication. Meet members of the Australia Compassion Team and hear #Lior sing the "Compassion Symphony" from the Sydney Chamber Orchestra.
Congratulations to Pato Banton and Antoinette Rootsdawtah, who were appointed as Goodwill Ambassadors of the Golden Rule by URI-Africa.
Interfaith Cooperation Circle - Central Virginia
Ron Povich from the Interfaith Cooperation Circle - Central Virginia will be participating in Golden Rule Day by hosting a special edition of World Turning, a world music show on WTJU (91.1 FM in Charlottesville, VA, USA) between noon and 2 pm on April 5. The show can also be heard worldwide via WTJU.net (live, and via the “tape vault” archives for up to two weeks after airing.)